Skip to main content

Looking at Doctor Who

There is something magical about Doctor Who. It can make you laugh, cry, yell in anger; possibly all within the same episode. I think because most of the time it doesn’t take itself seriously. Something that many shows that I’ve seen these days are lacking. In the doldrums of Summer, I’m going to bingeing Doctor Who again just so I have everything fresh in my mind just in time for Christmas.

Series 1 Episode 1-Rose

I have to back up a little here. This one requires a story. Before becoming a Doctor Who fan, I had heard of the series through a friend who at the time was crying over the departure of Matt Smith. I sympathize as well as I could but as I wasn’t a fan of the series. I couldn’t really understand the pain of what she was feeling.

This brought me to a summer afternoon. I was stuck indoors, roasting from the soaring temperatures and a slight case of food poisoning. I was surfing the net looking for something new to watch because I had finished binge watching Sherlock and was dying for more British television. This brought me to Doctor Who. I added it to my Netflix queue and started to watch. 

Five minutes in, I was watching Rose Tyler creep through the basement of Henrik’s holding a pillow in front of me as the heads of the mannequins started to move. I was terrified and it was exciting. How was she going to get out of there?

Then came the Doctor with his blue light (later I discovered it was a sonic screwdriver) and manic personality and the rest we could say was history. The chemistry between the Doctor and Rose was amazing. Rose was everything I felt I was at the time and the Doctor was the mysterious puzzle I needed to solve.


The Autons were creepy. I never liked shop window dummies and now I can’t look at them without shuddering and thinking of this episode. This was a great introduction to someone who was unfamiliar with Doctor Who and its mythology. It’s one I recommend to anyone who is just starting out with the series as a good starting point.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Us Season 2 Episode 1-Recap

I must preface this with a warning. Please come with a box of tissue. Any veteran of the show's first season will tell you that the Kleenex is a badge of honor. And you will need them for the premiere of This Is Us's Season 2 Episode 1. If you have not watched the season premiere of This is Us, please for your sanity stop reading this post and watch the episodes. Return to me when you have done so. You armed with your tissues? Good. Now let's get to the highlights before I can no longer type due to the flood of tears raining down my face. Episode 1 entitled "A Father's Advice," has us catching the Big Three as they celebrate their 37th. Kevin is in the middle of shooting the Ron Howard film and he learned that Sophie won't be able to join him for his birthday due to her mother's illness. He goes forward with plans for a fancy birthday dinner with Kate and Toby. In the end, Sophie manages to make it to LA to surprise Kevin on his birthday. I wis...

The Orville-A surprising series opener

Fox did not do a good job in advertising this. From the promos, it was selling a Star Trekesque space adventure with dirty Seth MacFarlane jokes. And while there were some off-color jokes occasionally through out the episode, what we got was the groundwork for an epic space adventure. Sci-fi programs of late have been dark and gritty with characters that were just too out there to connect with. The Orville was light hearted and fun. Macfarlane wrote and stars as Ed Mercer, a down on his luck captain who finds himself in the charge of the Orville and its motley crew which include his ex-wife who he finds in bed with an alien. Their first trip out, they are tricked into landing on a planet where the head of the science department has created a time altering device. Fights break out and an epic space battle charges on screen. The sets are slick and glossy which is surprising for something that initially seemed like an excuse to cosplay Star Trek. It's light hearted ho...

Loving Vincent-Can't wait to check this out!

I have been reading articles about this film for a little over two years and I can't wait to see the end result. I will confess that I am not an expert on art, but I can already tell that this is going to be something special. Loving Vincent is truly going to be a cinematic experience. In a world where practically every film has some sort of CGI effect to it, Loving Vincent is taking a completely different approach. It's animated, but not in the usual way one might think. It uses the style in which it's titular character Vincent Van Gogh painted his paintings. Each of the 65,000 frames was oil painted and was painted by over a hundred artists skilled in the replication of Van Gogh's style. Awards season will be upon us very soon. I suspect that this might be one on the list. In the meantime check out the trailer below.