Skip to main content

Annabelle Creation-Review

I adore scary movies. I like the thrill of being scared, of ducking behind my bag of popcorn when the scary monster jumps out on some unsuspecting victim. I lie awake at night terrified that said movie monster is going to jump out and attack me in my sleep.

Sadly, Annabelle Creation did none of those things for me. I slept like a baby last night. I laughed at how comical the "scary" demon looked and I felt the urge to throw my popcorn at the movie screen. I scratch my head at how Rotten Tomatoes has an 83% approval rating for this film because I don't see what was so exciting about it.

Annabelle Creation is the latest venture in The Conjuring universe. It the second film that focuses on the cursed doll Annabelle that Ed and Lorraine Warren procured on one of their supernatural excursions. Annabelle (2014) focused on how the doll got into the hands of the medical students featured in the introduction of The Conjuring.

This film, Annabelle Creation, hones in on how the doll came into being. In the introduction of the film, Sam Mullins puts the finishing touches of the star of our film, the creepiest doll on the face of this Earth. He boxes her up and goes to church with his wife and daughter Bee. On the way home, their car gets a flat tire and Bee is killed by a truck that they are flagging down.

Twelve years later, a group of orphaned girls cared for by Sister Charlotte are dropped off at the Mullin's gigantic house. Mr. Mullin is a huge creep and for those most part, Mrs. Mullin is unseen except for the doll mask she wears on the one side of her face.

The weird stuff starts happening. Typical jump scares and fake outs pad out this movie. The soundtrack of this movie cues the audience into the scare so that when it does happen you feel dumb for falling for it because the movie already clued you in. None of the characters have much depth so you don't really feel anything for them when they are attacked. That's what was missing from this movie. In the other films, you got a chance to connect with the characters before the supernatural elements take over. The stakes get higher and you really get scared when these people are attacked. We are barely allowed the chance to get to know Janice before she is attacked and then the narrative hastily shifts over to Linda who has to sort out the clues and win against the demon.

Annabelle Creation is sort of a once and done movie. You see it once and then you forget about it. Frankly, I would've rather seen a third Conjuring movie before seeing another one of these.

Rating: Boo for boring




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This is Us Season 2 Episode 1-Recap

I must preface this with a warning. Please come with a box of tissue. Any veteran of the show's first season will tell you that the Kleenex is a badge of honor. And you will need them for the premiere of This Is Us's Season 2 Episode 1. If you have not watched the season premiere of This is Us, please for your sanity stop reading this post and watch the episodes. Return to me when you have done so. You armed with your tissues? Good. Now let's get to the highlights before I can no longer type due to the flood of tears raining down my face. Episode 1 entitled "A Father's Advice," has us catching the Big Three as they celebrate their 37th. Kevin is in the middle of shooting the Ron Howard film and he learned that Sophie won't be able to join him for his birthday due to her mother's illness. He goes forward with plans for a fancy birthday dinner with Kate and Toby. In the end, Sophie manages to make it to LA to surprise Kevin on his birthday. I wis...

The Orville-A surprising series opener

Fox did not do a good job in advertising this. From the promos, it was selling a Star Trekesque space adventure with dirty Seth MacFarlane jokes. And while there were some off-color jokes occasionally through out the episode, what we got was the groundwork for an epic space adventure. Sci-fi programs of late have been dark and gritty with characters that were just too out there to connect with. The Orville was light hearted and fun. Macfarlane wrote and stars as Ed Mercer, a down on his luck captain who finds himself in the charge of the Orville and its motley crew which include his ex-wife who he finds in bed with an alien. Their first trip out, they are tricked into landing on a planet where the head of the science department has created a time altering device. Fights break out and an epic space battle charges on screen. The sets are slick and glossy which is surprising for something that initially seemed like an excuse to cosplay Star Trek. It's light hearted ho...

Loving Vincent-Can't wait to check this out!

I have been reading articles about this film for a little over two years and I can't wait to see the end result. I will confess that I am not an expert on art, but I can already tell that this is going to be something special. Loving Vincent is truly going to be a cinematic experience. In a world where practically every film has some sort of CGI effect to it, Loving Vincent is taking a completely different approach. It's animated, but not in the usual way one might think. It uses the style in which it's titular character Vincent Van Gogh painted his paintings. Each of the 65,000 frames was oil painted and was painted by over a hundred artists skilled in the replication of Van Gogh's style. Awards season will be upon us very soon. I suspect that this might be one on the list. In the meantime check out the trailer below.